Sunday, April 19, 2009

Power corrupts, and PowerPoint corrupts absolutely

Not original and I'm sure it's been around a long time, but I've only just heard it. And I have a few presentations coming up soon so I did a bit of trawling around to see if I had what other people call good practice or not. I found some useful stuff, including Don McMillan:




a load of presentation tips from The Impact Factory

and some decent ones from Suite 101.

From these I have picked a short list of things I will aim to do in each of my next few presentations:
  • don't put all your words on the slide (McMillan and the Impact Factory)
  • make a maximum of six words per line and six lines per slide (the Impact Factory)
  • use graphics where appropriate but not too much (the Impact Factory)
  • don't have too many slides (McMillan and the Impact Factory). McMillan prompts this law, "The usefulness of the talk is inversely related to the number of slides in the presentation".
  • don't pimp (Suite 101)
  • know your content (the Impact Factory) - I'm never confident about this.
  • know your way around PPT, how to get around your presentation quickly and smoothly - so that you look as if you know what you're doing
I may report back after I've done them.

No comments: